Journey from the MidWest to the MidEast ...

The Indianapolis-based International Interfaith Initiative (III), in collaboration with the Village Experience, led a trip of a diverse group (including representatives from Jewish, Muslim, Catholic, Evangelical, and Hindu religious communities) to the Middle East from December 27, 2009 to January 9, 2010. It was a follow-up to the very successful III Mideast trip of 2008. Read about the adventure on this blog. Look for partnership opportunities for your group at www.internationalinterfaith.org ... and be part of the next trip from Indy to the MidEast.


Monday, December 28, 2009

JSam: Day 1 and Photo Links

Except for Becca missing her flight yesterday due to the weather in Chicago, and now being stranded in Germany for reasons having apparently nothing to do with anything other than confusion at the airlines, this journey is off to a great start. We're still hoping Becca is able to work something out to join us late on Tuesday, but right now we miss the viewpoints and curiosity that we all were expecting from her.

I've learned things at every stop today, sometimes from the people we were meeting, and sometimes from others in our group. My prayer for this trip has been for God to use all of us to draw us closer to Him. I am well aware of people back home that worry about compromising one's own faith in an experience like this, but that is the furthest thing from my experience so far, and it has not been necessary to be judgmental of other's theology in order to have my relationship with God grow a little stronger.

37 years ago my father was involved with starting a Christian Church in a Jewish Temple in West Lafayette. It was a very positive experience for me personally and in many ways prepared me for the work I'm involved with today, but I had never really gotten any feedback from the landlords as to their thoughts on the interfaith 'experiment.' I was relating that story to some of the group tonight and George said he was familiar with the story and had over the years talked to people with that Temple and related that they spoke highly of the experience and were a bit proud of having been a partner. That was not an earth-shattering moment or anything like that, but it was a nice little reminder about how God is upstream working on things that we cannot imagine.

The only photo I'll include here is one that I can't get out of my head... the refugee camp in Amman for people who fled Palestine during the 1948 war. It's still here and occupied and a troubling reminder of the people price that is being paid.

Paul Gibson has the kool camera and photo skills, and you can see his picts on my Flickr site by clicking here.

Click here for more of my photos (more than you want to see).

No comments: